Vienna University of Technology, Austria
The Vienna University of Technology (TU Vienna) is located in the heart of Europe, in a cosmopolitan city of great cultural diversity. For nearly 200 years, the TU Vienna has been a place of research, teaching and learning in the service of progress. The TU Vienna is among the most successful technical universities in Europe and is Austria’s largest scientific-technical research and educational institution.
Vienna University of Technology (German: Technische Universität Wien) is one of the major universities in Vienna, the capital of Austria. Founded in 1815 as the "Imperial-Royal Polytechnic Institute" (k. k. Polytechnisches Institut), it currently has about 17,600 students (19% foreign students/30% women), 8 faculties and about 4,000 staff members (1,800 academic). The university's teaching and research is focused on engineering and natural science.
TU Vienna looks back on a long tradition at the leading edge of scientific research and education: Founded in 1815 as k.k. Polytechnisches Institut (Imperial and Royal Polytechnical Institute), it was divided into 5 faculties in 1865. One year later the first freely elected rector was inaugurated.
In 1872 its name changed to Technische Hochschule (College of Technology), and in 1902 the first doctorates were awarded. The institution has borne its current name – Technische Universität Wien (Vienna University of Technology) – since 1975. In 2004 TU Vienna reached full autonomy through the University Act 2002.
For more detail please contact us